I posted last week about the amazing Poolside Corn Dip my mom and I whipped up for my in-laws' visit to our family lake house. Along with that one, we made delicious Shrimp Scamp Dip which I've been dying to make ever since I 'pinned' it over a year ago!
It's cheesy, creamy, and... garlicky, so make sure you have some breath mints on hand. It's a heaver dip, perfect for a filling afternoon snack or heavy hor d'oeuvres with cocktails or wine.
Ingredients for Shrimp Scampi Dip:
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 8 ounces of raw shrimp, peeled & deveined & chopped into smaller pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup plain of Greek yogurt
- 1½ cups of shredded Italian cheese blend
- ¼ cup of marinated artichokes, drained and coarsely chopped
The author of the recipe suggested using regular cream cheese instead of low-fat since low-fat can sometimes add more liquid to the recipe and make it thinner. I will be honest and say that we should've done that. Ours was a tad bit thin, but at least it was less calories...
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease (I used nonstick cooking spray) two 3 ounce or one 6 ounce ramekin or oven safe baking dish.
2. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the shrimp, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are pink and the garlic is fragrant (about 5 minutes).
3. In a medium bowl stir together the cream cheese, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, and Greek yogurt. Add the shrimp, garlic, butter mixture, scraping the pan to get all the buttery garlic bits.
4. Squeeze in the lemon juice. add the artichokes, and stir. Spoon into the prepared baking dish and then cover with the remaining cheese.
5. Place the baking dish(es) on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Turn the oven to Low Broil and then broil for 3 minutes to melt and slightly brown the cheese on top.
7. Serve hot with sliced baguette, like we did, crackers, or tortilla chips. Basically anything that's edible and can scoop. :P