If you've been following my blog for a while, then you know that I don't typically make the healthiest of meals. I made food that I know J and I will enjoy, and if that happens to be filled with carbs and butter, then so be it. I do, however, swap ingredients for healthier alternatives when I can/need to.
Lately, we've been overindulging with our eating and I think it's finally starting to catch up with us. Sad times. I'm making a conscious effort to scale back on the unhealthy dinners I make for us, and chose lighter options during the work week. Now, I won't stop making great recipes. Don't get it twisted! And I will continue to make comfort food and share on the blog, because I know my readers want to see and make those meals, too!
I've been following SkinnyTaste for a while now, and when I stumbled upon this recipe on Pinterest, I wanted to give it a go. It was so quick and easy to make. The best part? It is only 205 calories per serving!
Skinny Chicken Pesto Bake
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 4 teaspoons Skinny Basil Pesto (J and I used pre-made, store bought Buitoni Reduced- Fat Pesto.)
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced thin
- 6 tbsp (1.5 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
1. Slice chicken breast horizontally to create 4 thinner cutlets. Season lightly with salt and fresh pepper.
2. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line baking sheet with foil or parchment if desired for easy clean-up.
3. Place the chicken on prepared baking sheet. Spread about 1 teaspoon of pesto over each piece of chicken.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove from oven; top with tomatoes, mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
We made some whole-wheat pasta to go with it. I whipped up a quick side salad for me, since I didn't want to bog myself down with too much pasta. I threw in cannellini beans, mushrooms, and avocado slices and tossed in olive oil and red wine vinegar. Yum!