Lately, I've been sticking to my go-to meals (like Red Beans and Rice and Cottage Pie) since holiday schedules have been rather hectic. When I have made something new, I've completely forgotten to grab pictures of it. We tried this fabulous Slow Cooker Chicken Curry that I really wish I would've snapped pictures of because we loved it. When I make it again, I'll be sure to share.
Last night we tried this Skinny Garlic Shrimp & Broccoli Alfredo I found on Pinterest. I purposely chose a lower calorie dish to make since J's and my bodies are already needing detoxing from the eating frenzy that's called "the holiday season".
What I loved about this recipe is that it really is another easy one to throw together and calls for ingredients you most likely have in your pantry and fridge often. The downside is that the sauce is a tad bit bland, but I think that was partly our fault for not adding more salt and pepper to ours.
Low-Calorie Garlic Shrimp & Broccoli Alfredo
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta, any shape. (We used whole wheat spaghetti since i didn't have enough penne.)
- 2 cups frozen or fresh broccoli
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon flour (We added about a 1 1/2 Tbsps more flour to thicken up the sauce.)
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 oz cream cheese (2 tablespoons)
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Red Pepper Flakes (Not on the original recipe, but think this would be a great option to give this recipe a little kick.)
1. Cook pasta al dente according to package directions, in generously salted water. Add the broccoli just 1 minute before the pasta is finished cooking. Drain and set aside.
2. While the pasta is cooking, heat a large heavy-duty pan to high heat. Add the olive oil, butter, shrimp and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook the shrimp on the highest heat level for 2-3 minutes or until pink. Remove shrimp from pan.
3. To the same pan, Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in cream cheese and parmesan and whisk until the cream cheese is fully mixed in and lump free. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
4. Return the shrimp, drained pasta and broccoli to pan. Gently toss until everything is fully coated in the sauce. Turn off heat and serve hot.