There are not too many types of food I love more than Tex-Mex food. Cheese, deep-fried chips, cheese, beans, salsa, cheese... all that just gets my taste buds watering.
Of course, it's not the healthiest of cuisines and I tend to lose all sense of self-control when they place a basket of chips in front of my face. I'm like a lion devouring a wildebeest.
I like to make Tex-Mex dishes at home when J and I get a hankering for it, but don't want to go out, and one of my go-to recipes is this White Chicken Enchilada recipe.
It's not necessarily a "healthy" recipe, but I do make a conscious effort to swap some of the ingredients for their lower calorie counterparts to make it a little better.
As for the rice, it was a last minute decision, but ended up being a great one at that. I, unfortunately, forgot to pick up beans and Mexican rice at the store when I went grocery shopping at the beginning of the week. I asked J to pick up some on his way home from work, but he had forgotten his wallet at home that day and couldn't. So what did I do? I took to Pinterest to find a super basic recipe for Mexican rice.
Luckily, I had all the ingredients for this one you'll find down below. It was delicious, too!
Ingredients for White Sauce
- 2 Tbsps of butter
- 3 Tbsp of flour
- 1 Cup of milk (I use low-fat milk)
- 1 Cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 Cup of light sour cream
- 1/2 tsp of cumin powder
- 2 Tbsp of finely chopped jalepeños or canned green chiles (optional)
- 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper, each
Steps for White Sauce
1. Melt butter over medium heat in a skillet. Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
2. Add milk and whisk until thickened- up to 1 minute. Add sour cream and chicken broth. Whisk and cook for 2 minutes. Stir cumin, jalapenños, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
Ingredients for Enciladas
- 2 1/2 Cups of shredded cooked chicken (I use poached chicken prepared beforehand.)
- 1 Cup of frozen corn
- 1/2 Cup of sliced scallions
- 2 Cups of grated low-fat Mexican cheese
- 8 flour tortillas
Steps for Enchiladas
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix together 1/4 cup of the white sauce, chicken, corn, scallions, 1 cup of cheese, salt, and pepper.
3. Smear 2 Tbsps of the white sauce at the bottom of a baking dish.
4. Divide the filling between the tortillas and roll them up like a cigar and place them seam-side down in the baking dish. To prevent the tortillas from "cracking" when rolling, pop them in the microwave for about 15 seconds before filling.
5. Pour remaining white sauce and scatter cheese over the top of the rolled up enchiladas.
6. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve hot!
Ingredients for Mexican Rice
- 1 Cup of uncooked long-grain rice OR 1 few bags of Boil-in-a-Bag Instant rice. (The cook time for this dish will vary depending on what kind you use and whether the rice is brown or white. We used the instant rice.)
- 2 Cups of chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp of butter
- 1/2 Cup of salsa (However degree of spicy-ness you'd like.)
- 1 tsp of garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp of ground cumin
Steps for Mexican Rice
1. Combine all ingredients into a non-stick skillet. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-25 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and let rice stand with lid on for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve.