We got our marriage license yesterday! It's official, at least in the city's eyes, that J and I have entered in to the Union of Holy Matrimony. We had to raise our right hand and everything. Super legit. :P You know what this means? We are within a month of the wedding. Shut the front door, I'm excited!
We celebrated with a romantic sushi dinner at a new restaurant near our house called Uniko Japanese House.
Because I can't make sushi, we're reppin' a good ol' Red Beans, Sausage and Rice recipe today on the blog. My soon-to-be mother-in-law gave me the recipe since J loves red beans and rice. Unfortunately, though, we had to improvise with some ingredients since I couldn't find what she uses at my HEB store, so what is listed below isn't necessarily part of the original recipe.
- 2 cans of red kidney beans, drained and washed
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 package of sausage ( I used HEB beef sausage, but this would be excellent with chorizo)
- 1 to 2 Tbsp of Cajun Seasoning (This is something you're going to have to taste as you go. It's a spicier seasoning so don't be generous if you don't like a lot of spice.)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 cups of rice
- Prepare rice according to package and set aside.
- While rice cooks, cook sausage in a deep pan. After cooked, drain grease and remove from pan.
- Use the same pan to sauté the bell pepper and onion.
- Stir in about 1 Tbsp seasoning.
- Add sausage and beans to the pan and stir.
- We added more seasoning and let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes on medium heat before serving over a bed of rice.
This is definitely a hardier meal, so if you need something to warm your insides, this would be it. Makes for great leftovers, too!