I've made this recipe several times over the past few years and each time it gets harder and harder not to go back for seconds and even thirds.
Again, I don't know why I haven't added this recipe to the blog yet since it's one that is easy to make, requires ingredients that you almost always will have on hand, and it tastes good every time.
Chicken Alfredo Penne Bake
- 12 ounces penne
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken (about 2 small chicken breasts)
- 1 batch alfredo sauce (see below)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (I used 2% low fat)
- (optional toppings: additional shredded Parmesan cheese, chopped fresh parsley)
Alfredo Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup low-fat milk (I used 1%)
- 3/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Cook the pasta al dente according to package instructions. Drain. Return pasta to the pot and add chicken and alfredo sauce. Gently toss to combine until the pasta is evenly coated.
3. Pour half of the pasta into a greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup of cheese. Layer the remaining half of the pasta evenly on top. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted and just barely starts to turn golden. Remove and serve immediately.
Directions for Alfredo Sauce:
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté one minute, stirring occasionally, until fragrant. Sprinkle with flour, and stir to combine. Sauté for an additional minute to cook the flour, stirring occasionally.
2. Slowly add chicken broth, whisking to combine until smooth. Whisk in milk, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Let it cook for an additional minute until thickened, then stir in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper until the cheese melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
This is another great meal to make for a family seeing as it serves up to 6 people. Try it out and give me a shout on how you liked it!